Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Green Back Pack presents The New Zealand Experience

Before we get this journal started I should explain. New Zealand has two specific parts – the north and the south island. Our journey will take place in the south island. Now, I’m not saying that the north island is not worth a peak but for the purposes of our adventure we are exploring the south island of New Zealand. Are you up for it? Okay, let’s go!

Holidays are special times with family. This holiday is even more special to me because we are leaving Princess Flea Bag at home in the Doggy prison. I have prime position and there is no question of who is the favorite from where I am sitting perched on my Mistress’s back.

Packing our bags into the silver service tax was easy. This is the way to ride – smooth elegant and civilized. The airport is hectic with lots of people scootering around like bugs on a summer night. We board the big V for Sydney and the din begins – a toddler tyrant screams his lungs out for the entire trip.

Normally I enjoy the Sydney trip – the view the skies; the ride but this time I am fed up to my flaps with this darn noise. If there is a God please shut this kid up!

I am more than elated to be thrust over my Mistress’s should and am ramping up for the escape hatch.

A one stop train ride and we are standing in another queue to offer luggage and pick up our boarding passes. Of course I am not a part of that rubble. I get to rude up from with the other important totes.

The airport is a hustle and we now have barely enough time to catch my breath. Mistress picks up a bargain with some perfume and I am make room in my middle crevice.

Our flight takes up on time and we bank out over Botany Bay. I sigh and settle in for the short jaunt across the Tasman.

Jolted out of slumber I am ready to be upstanding for duty. I wipe the sleep from my eyelets and catch a glimpse of the full glorious silver orb splashing her beauty across the ocean.

Apparently the Moon is in the sign of Libra – you know love and relationships and all that human stuff. I’m that impressed to be honest although the lusty times in the overhead lockers seem to work perfectly for me.

A short taxi ride and a quick unpack – we are in Christchurch and ready for some serious holiday fun!

Day II – Akaroa – Wow! What a vista! The view from this look-out is nothing short of phenomenal. Get me down there and quick! Oh! My goodness – I am overwhelmed with the magic of this region.

The small sea-side town is alive with tourists. It is a melting pot of accents like some international convention flocking to this volcanic hot spot. This nook was created in the armpit of the south island. There is an interesting Indigenous tale that stands to reason for the majesty and brilliance of the area.

Personally, I am in awe. My eyelets are blinking like a garbled and slightly hysterical Morse code. And they even have dolphins here – my favorite!

After the humans demolished the seafood platter we took a walk along the promenade. The stroll was satisfying and now I am little tired and in need of a knap. I don’t want to miss a second of the landscape though and yet fall into a gentle slumber on the winding trip back to Christchurch.

Back in the city and we hop on a tram. We take a tour around the city. The driver, Wayne has a quirky Kiwi accent – rather endearing – as he highlights the historical bedroom and captivating nuances of the town. The Botanic Gardens looks pretty amazing – I hope we get to go there.

The day seems to be sliding through hyper-vigilant hour glass. The minutes seem like seconds and the seconds are obliterated. We’ve done a few laps of the city looking for the art gallery, one way streets are such a pain in the pouch.

The art gallery is a spectacle in itself. The giant sculptures greet us with a navigator’s theme. They represent the beacons of navigating and traversing the ocean for food. The boats that are balanced delicately on top are turned every full moon. In March they have been moved twice.

The gallery is interesting but I am seriously exhausted after a big day of wows and on my goodness. I think that we are going to give the botanic gardens a miss this time around. Perhaps on our way back?

Day III – We are bound for Queenstown

The drive out of Christchurch was not that appealing. The outskirts of any city pretty much look the same. Touring down south the mountain ranges reveal and unexpected splendor. The ranges look as if a huge roll of brown paper has been scrunched and sprawled across the land. Earthy tones of pain splashed unceremoniously across the shoulders, craggy necks and ridges allude to peaks of wonder. Colors drip into ravines and splashed into paddocks below. The rugged structures poised and proud boast the greatest spectacle of them all.

We stop for lunch in Geraldine. I am placed respectfully on a wooden bench and listen to the accents that swirl around me. I often wonder about accents. I’ve travelled extensively with my Mistress and the sights have been mind-boggling. Places like Alaska; Canada; fall in Vermont and even the quaint isle of Norfolk. These places are riveted in my zippers like butter on bread. The tasty marmalade is the smattering of unique accents that colour these experiences with tangy taste of orange twist.

The Kiwi accent is cute; a bit like their Indigenous fauna. They seem to speak with their lips clasped together. It’s fascinating to listen to but not so easy to understand. I’m a little partial to the Vermont accent if the truth be known; although the Aussie one sure feels like home now. Oh darn it I can’t decide. Anyway I’d rather focus on this fantastic view.

Snowcapped mountains are the gateway to Lake Tekapo with magnificent hues of turquoise and aquamarine swirls together to create a palette of watery splendor.

Skyward I witness the thighs of Gaia part and white billowing snow is puffed delicately between them. Oh My I feel as though my soul is having an orgasm.

We stopped at Lake Puaki look out and my desire for the ardor and wonder of Gaia has been sated.

Our next stop is “Roaring Meggs Falls” and we snapped and shot video to maintain the beauty of our memories. To my mind I know I will forever bask in the glory of this trip.

Day IV – Queenstown. The morning light reveals the Remarkables. This region of the mountain range is remarkable. The view is spectacular. Superlatives crash in on top of superlatives. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. The volcanic mountain ranges are well – remarkable – stunning and incredible.

Our studio apartment overlooks the town. The lake below showcases the rugged mountain ranges pushed out of the ground into majestic structures escalloping the quaint locale of Queenstown.

I’m looking out over the town from my bed – the skyline is absorbed by the “Remarkables”. These moments are spellbinding. I want to soak up every inch of the view. I want to reach out and touch them – my straps edge toward the exquisitely carved ridges they are so close and intoxicating. It seems that I am entranced by the visual kaleidoscope. See you later I need to relax.

Day V – War birds over Warnaka

Mist and powdery snow floats in drifts across a distant mountain range. The Sun is burning bright as squadrons of Harvards bring in a distinctive formation honouring fallen warriors of wars past.

Mother Nature offers the most sublime backdrop for man and machine. Here we are at War birds over Warnaka witnessing amazing aerial feats of German aerobatic wing walker Peggy and the mind blowing acrobatic feats of the Maniac from Lithoaniac. The RAAF F18 blasts us away with their precision and daring as they fly in diamond formation.

We’ve experienced four seasons today and as we leave our bus the rain washes away the dust from the paddock at Warnaka. Racing through the puddles and crossing cobbled streets we discover a little Italian restaurant. The warmth and welcoming smile of the waitress was the perfect remedy for our frozen bodies and empty tummy.

The meals were sumptuous and the wine was the perfect ambrosia to celebrate a magnificent day at the venue for dreams coming true. Bellisimo!

Day VI – Queenstown and the Earnslaw ferry ride.

The rain and wind has left town and the white clouds float down over the shoulders of the Remarkables. Unraveling before my eyelets Mother Nature is showing off with her display of majestic beauty.

Today is a rest and relax day for the humans. They are lounging around Queenstown, the Jewell of New Zealand. From what I hear, it is pancakes for breakfast and then a historic steamer ride.

Off to brekkie at Vudu – a little eatery in town. This place comes highly recommended however it seems a little crowded. We might get served soon. Nope, not ever! Not even a, “can I help you?” We are totally ignored. The arrogance, I don’t believe it! In this depressed economy they don’t even acknowledge us.

Not only are we prepared to pay tourist prices plus there is a 20% surcharge today we – we have our wallets open ready to ante up. Boy – they must be rich! Well, we’ll just mosey over the road for an English breakfast maybe they’ll want to take our cash?

Lunch back in the room – the view has become even more phenomenal. Snow has drifted on to the tallest peaks capping the ridges with spell binding magic.

Later in the afternoon we boarded the steamship Earnslaw for a trip around Lake Wakatipu. The water is crystal clear, fresh and has the allure of marbled turquoise. I’ve never seen anything like it – I remember that the glaciers in Alaska were pretty awesome but the water in this region is truly exquisite.

Speaking of exquisite the afternoon sing a long is pretty darn special. I’ve tapping my straps and really getting into the mood. A little girl with a red jacket knows all of the words and is really leading the group on all of the old time songs. She has an amazing voice – impressive if you ask me?

Back in the room we settle in for the night. We are taking care to dry off some washing that master did earlier today. We are getting ready to move on – packing and re-arranging the gear is under way. Of course I get pride of place and the most important role is left up to me to fulfill. Standing proudly and with my pouches wide open I am ready to receive the goodies for the next stage of our trip.

Day VII – Doubtful Sound overnight cruise. My mistress was up before the alarm this morning. I guess she is excited about the upcoming cruise. I have to be honest though and admit that it is going to be hard to drag my canvas butt out of Queenstown.

The rich landscape framing the glamour-ess-ness of me makes for a perfect impromptu photo session on the banks of Lake Manapouri.

The air is crisp and clear except for the odd invasion of marine fuel wafting through the air. Ducks paddle across slithery eels on the water beneath our table. There is a slightly different perspective of the mountain views – they are grey/green and it seems in preparation for the winter.
A large catamaran takes us out to West arm for our bus ride over Wilmot Pass and then connects with the Fjord Navigator to cruise Doubtful Sound.

Day VIII – Doubtful Sound dream cruise, anchored only a few meters from shore. I want to reach out and touch them – slide my straps down them – I want to bury my tiny green face in the crevices of the mountains - caress them and take them home with me.

We cruised the lake yesterday and then took a scary bus ride over a dirt track and then boarded our cruise ship. The ship tours Doubtful Sound. Last night we sailed out into the Tasman Sea. We stood on the deck and watched a colony of fur seals frolic in the ocean; sunning themselves on Nee Rock they would slide down and take a dip – entertaining a boat load of captivated humans.

Cameras napped furiously as they attempted to capture nature billowing in her most glorious and natural state. The sun set over Doubtful Sound as we prepare for our mighty vestige in the protective arms of Doubtful Sound.

One of the best aspects of this cruise is the way my Mistress is emerging from her shell. She is changing – I can tell. Well she is not turning into a ware wolf or anything but she seems to be returning to her former vivacious self. It is a wonderful transformation to witness. I feel so proud of her.

I’ve loved watching her laugh, chat with and make funny quips with a smorgasbord of international visitors and Kiwi natives. She can be so funny, spiritual and so darn caring – it makes my pouch swell when I see her laugh and talk with these strangers. I think I am witnessing a rebirth of my Goddess and I expect that this transformation is the real reason for this trip.

This morning we will pull up the anchor and sail back to Deep Cove. We hope to get a glimpse of sunrise and take some more photographs. These photos will represent the albums that will lurk in our memory forever.

The cruise continued with the elegance and magic we’ve come to enjoy. This morning we met in the saloon for a fifteen course breakfast. Gosh, humans can put it away!

The mystical experience of this trip was marginally gazumped by the wildlife – scampering dolphins and rare beauty of the fjords. The volcanic guardians and glacial structures line the fjord like multi-layered armies of protective centurions. We stopped – motionless and basked in absolute silence we stood upon the deck of the ship wrapped in an exquisite moment of intimacy and connected with nature. This experience was spellbinding and I was moved emotionally and spiritually. This moment will forever linger in the memory of my being.

A short bus ride back over the mountain and we reconnect once again with our carrier across Lake Manapouri.

Wilmot Pass is a glorious natural vista with picturesque scenery, trees and waterfalls. All of the visitors are speechless – thank goodness. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the senseless chatter it’s just that there are moments when nature should be honoured.

We are back on the catamaran and a trip down the lack. Then we’ll the dock, disembark and prepare for the next stage of our trip. We are off to Dunedin. Although, on reflection I wonder how we will ever surpass this experience or even match the incredible moments of the past two days.

Day IX – Dunedin – This morning we drove along a sea road out to the Otago Peninsular. We are in pursuit of more natural experiences. Apparently there are fur seals, albatross and penguin colonies out here. I can’t wait!

A huge container ship slides into the harbour like a slug on steroids. The native wildlife is unaffected by the chilly ocean winds as a matter of fact I think that feel insanely comfortable. The grey foreboding skies start to crash and break-away perhaps a little sunlight may creep in through the bleak and heavy duvet.

My Master has decided not to pay huge fee to see albatross in their natural state. Instead we creep out to the ledge of the cliff and lean over (oh gosh I think I am going to be sick) and take some snaps of a fur seal colony having a sun bake. Enough already – can we go now, please?

Day X – Otago Museum (www.otagomuseum.govt.nz ) - well today is a much more civilized day with a trip to the museum. The museum has lots of displays with three levels of interesting displays. I know that my mistress is here to see the butterflies – she is getting a little ancie.

At 10:30am the keepers let out a new batch of butterflies into the tropical forest gallery. The gallery is filled with perfect live butterflies with pools of turtles, fish and even some scary looking tarantulas. We paid a small fee but it was reasonable and certainly well worth it to present and maintain this phenomenal display. Butterflies have landed on my Mistress’s face and arms – she has officially been kissed by a butterfly. One landed on her movie camera and stayed there for most of the visit. This museum is a must see when you come to Dunedin.

Lunch at St. Clair’s beach with the best view at the Swell’s Café rounded off this sunny day as one of the most memorable highlights. We walked the beach and took more footprints for the memory tank. Tonight we begin the hard chore of packing again for our final leg of the trip back to Christchurch tomorrow.

Day XI – Christchurch.

The drive up from Dunedin was pleasant. The rolling country side was escalloped by the tantalizing tastes of the Pacific Ocean. Haa – feels like home – well not yet! We don’t fly out until 13:30 tomorrow. So for now, I snuggle back and enjoy the mountain vistas and the ocean mist infiltrating my senses.

We stop at Ashbuton for lunch and a leg stretch – nice but relatively uneventful. Back in the car and off to the motel to unpack and a final sightseeing trip to the Botanic Gardens (well that is what I am pushing for anyway!). I hear on the tote vine that it is pretty spectacular!

All of my wishes have been granted (today). We enter the Botanic Gardens at Christchurch and are immediately greeted by an exotic looking fountain. The carved creations include fish and peacocks. Mistress wants a photo but only with the fountain flowing – I’m sure that she will get it too – when the time is right.

Strolling around the carefully planned and exquisitely maintained gardens I get a feeling of being totally at peace – relaxed beyond all comprehension – healed from the inside out.

The duck pond and tiny bridge adds a quant English feel to the setting which sprawls out into a vista of natural wonder. The rose garden boasts hundreds of roses – documented and presented in perfect beds of symmetry a decoration.

My favourite icon however is the World Peace Bell. It is a mind-boggling donation by Emperor Yoshida of Japan. Apparently, the Bell is made up of coins, medals and mixed with copper from the people of Japan. The driving force behind the gift was purely out of the desire to ring out world peace – and so say all of us!

The tour ended with the fountain spectacular. Yes, Mistress got her picture. The only thing I would like to know is what did she say to the sycamore tree when she hugged it? Perhaps we’ll never know or maybe we will find out in time?

Day XII – Homeward bound- a sleep in and a healthy brekkie, bags are packed and I am stacked with goodies for our return to Oz.

On reflection this has been an astounding journey of one spectacle being trumped by a mystical sojourn. What can I say other than thank you New Zealand! I’ve had a bloody brilliant time!

We arrived at the airport early and the loopy luggage was shafted off down the chute to the overcrowded and cold cargo hold (as it should be!). In contrast, I’m perched high on the leather bench seat sniffing warm cappuccino and getting lost in the curious passers-by.

I look up and my Mistress and I can tell that she has had a great time. The holiday has been the perfect soul elixir and a quiet interlude to her anxious heart. She worries too much – I know this for sure but how can I tell her that everything will be alright.

A short flight across the ditch and an even shorter one to Canberra and we are home once again in our healing haven.

My only concern right now is that the gorgeous check-in chicks will enforce the carryon luggage limit so I get a comfy ride home. And they do! Awesome Gals!

See you soon for our next exciting and eventful log of the Green Back Pack Adventures.

Cho for now!

Greenie
April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment