Friday, February 11, 2011

The Green Back Pack – Ghan Trip

Greenie at Katherine Gorge - Bliss
Day I – Canberra to Darwin – All Class at last!

Chapter: 1

I feel extremely fortunate smoozing into my spacious nook above the crowd. Bend and stretch I have the entire locker to myself. Mmmm – fantastic!

The morning has held some unexpected and civilised pleasures. First port of call was the Silver Service Taxi glide to the airport – nice one boss! We drove in gloomy wet weather but who cares when you are doing it in style?

After an uninterrupted check in at Business Class counter (can you believe it?) we flowed through security checks and up the escalator to Qantas Club more decadence and “special” treatment -looks like this trip is first class all the way.

Mistress rang her Mum to express her love and devotion and to remind Mum that we were on holidays (it’s always important to let people know where you are, don’t you think – even if you have told them numerous time before – I’m not saying anything more – flap shut!).

Master boasted that we are travelling in a new Boeing 737-800 (whatever that means?).

Meanwhile back in the over head locker the feeling of luxury and plenty of flop-room. I feel massively spoilt and not before time too I have to admit. Back packs have the right to feel the comfort of class too!

The pink “oversized” satchel at the other end of the overhead locker is giving me some serious zipper.

“Sweetums, you may feel mighty darn special but I am here to tell you, you’re not!”

Although I do recall that trip on the way back from Vancouver when it was overcrowded cramped I capitalised on the opportunity to exploit my snuggle position to nestle up closer to a sexy little pink pouch – those were the days, My Friend – those were the days!

After a short stint in the gold class cargo hold I am out and about and sprawled along the spacious lounges in Business Class. Mistress removes her decorative notebook and exquisite blue pen to begin my account of this journey. She takes out one of her books from the, “I can do it conference!” Changes her mind and chooses document my experiences instead of reading. Good choice, Goddess!

I am captivated by my short release from cargo paradise by a fun little movie called, Toy story 3. It is a funny little story about these unique little toys who can not only talk but exhibit diverse personalities. This movie explores their challenges and the interplay between themselves while trying to deal with humans.

I feel their pain. I can’t tell you, it’s not easy sometimes but it is worth the ride. Anyway, I digress. In short, they are precious and the movie is good too. So don’t sit in judgement on my movie review skills.

High above the white duvet rolling across the centre of our great land (yes I know that I started out as an American immigrant but now I am neutralised as a true blue/green Aussie through and through). My aerial capsule holds a great deal of appeal. I am able to sprawl to my canvas’ heart content. You know it is getting kind of lonely up here? I wonder if I can get into any mischief – drat no, there is no one to terrorise or torment. I think I will sleep instead!

Darwin airport is steamy and humid – my straps attract the heat like a black hole attracts space flotsam. We took a short tour bus ride to the inner city motel and commence registration and check in.

Darwin sprawls along an expansive coastline. The water is clear and aquamarine in colour. People shuffle along in a humid-induced state of perspiration. The walking tour is interesting and exhausting all at once. We found a cool nook hiding beneath a five-storey footbridge. Mistress indulged in a coffee frappe and Master slurped down a milkshake.

Another short and scenic walk and peering into the glass walls of a couple of shops and we are back in our room. Ahh the air-conditioning is superb and Mistress flops onto the bed and begins to surfs the smorgasbord of Darwinian channels. Master has a refresh and is ready to explore a little more.

Later that night we swoon down the street to a Turkish restaurant. We are entertained by artists who sing in their own rhythmic lingo. A feast of Turkish delicacies which seem to be a strange array of food offerings is laced with music from another world. I know that Mistress was impressed with the folk belly dancing sounds but give me the Beatles any day.

Back in our room and the feasting is done. I want to flop into a deep green sleep. I am weary to my buckles and my straps are stretch beyond recognition. Good night Darwin – good nite Mistress.


Day II – On the Ghan
An early morning wake-up call and my eyelets are still heavy with sleep. Just five more minutes and I promise I will be ready to rock.

Back already? Mistress and Master have had a full breakfast. I hope she is watching her diet she has done so well with weight loss over the past four years.

We are packed, checked out and are waiting downstairs in the lobby. This meeting is way too early for my liking. Does anyone ask me how annoying it is just to sit around – boring!

Wait a minute who is that, hubba hubba a cut little red pull along catches my eye and I give her a wink!

Snob – think you are too good for me – I’ve been places lady. Anyway, where was I? Yes that’s it – we are early but here is the tour bus and we are ready to be driven to the train station.

The comfy red carpeted tour bus rolls through the outskirts of the city. We connect with the train and are ready to board – P1 – Platinum Class – woohoo.

A pink champagne greeting and OHS procedures drilled down. We are ready to rattle and hum along the tracks to Alice Springs.

The cabin is luxurious and the country-side unique. Strange looking cattle with humps on the back of their necks race the cranes to the best spot on the clover-filled paddock.

Termite mounds dot the landscape. They are strange protrusions that elicit faces of small children and wild beasts. These insect structures are built with determination and are effortless sculptures that decorate the untamed wilderness of the Australian outback.

After a quick a la carte lunch served in the luxurious dining car we head for a tour bus. We are off to Katherine Gorge – well two gorges of Katherine Gorge. I have to admit that I am getting quite excited. Now this is a real back pack adventure. Please don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining ab0out the Pilates, Tai chi or the Yoga classes but cameras, water bottles and insect repellents get my flaps standing to attention.

The bus ride was interesting and yet somewhat uneventful. We arrived in the Nitmiluk National Park. Nature lifted up her skirts and showed us what she is made of. The mountainous sandstone rock formations provide a gateway to a magical, spiritual and ancient water course. Rock carvings offer a story book of ancient myths and legends.

This is a peaceful place and the lapping of the water against the hull of the boat takes me into a deep meditation. I connect with the owners and custodians of this land and ask if we can take a moment to bask in the natural glory of this pristine and hallowed sanctuary.

As we navigate the rocks of the Katherine River I am reminded that fresh water crocodiles haul their pregnant bodies up on to small sandy crèches to excavate for the perfect birthing conditions for some serious egg laying. Gender and sex is determined by the temperature of the humidicrib. It would be so neat to see one of these prehistoric survivors in their native surroundings.

The tour of the Gorges is a magnificent treat for the soul. It’s as if we have tapped the head of Mother Earth in Darwin and now we are exploring her thoracic region. Buried deep beneath her breastbone beats a glorious heart. This organ beats in perfect harmony with the commitment and responsibility with the soul of this great land.

Returning to our deluxe transport we are greeted smiling faces offering small trays with filled with ice cold washers. In our cabin chilled glasses filled with lemon ice tea. This is the perfect replete after an exhausting and yet satisfying day.

Slumped in the corner I smile widely knowing that Mistress and her man have enjoyed another mind blowing experiencing which has nourished her soul on this alchemy.

I wonder what is next on our travel agenda. Stayed tuned peeps!

Your mate,

Greenie

No comments:

Post a Comment