Saturday, July 2, 2011

Chapter 5 - final leg of our Ghan trip – Glenelg, Adelaide and home to Canberra

Its early morning and are we strolling the empty streets of Adelaide. Some might suggest that Adelaide is pretty desolate most of the time – but I wouldn’t! No! I am far more polite and open minded. We left the Motel and have decided to take a walk into the city to catch a tram.

I hear the humans chatter about their destination – Glenelg. Apparently we are travelling on a tram – fantastic! What’s a tram?

Well, a tram is like a train but it goes on the road. So it is like a car, right? Anyway we buy a ticket and hop on board.

It is kind of like a train. Well not like the Ghan. Of course not! The Ghan was amazing, historical and totally civilised. This little clunker is well very shall I say - public.

Now, I am not being snobby – but let’s face it – this mode of transport is pretty down market. It get’s along though. With a rattle and a shove we hum along the track. Is there a track? Well we sort of glide along the road on special rails – or something.

The scenery down to Glenelg is very metropolitan; nothing special but rather pleasant on a Sunday morning.

What is that smell? Oh yes, I remember – it is the ocean. Oh! My goodness – I think I am getting excited. I can feel my pockets swell with anticipation and my flaps are in awe of the tiny seaside town. I think we are going to have some fun here folks. Guess the humans knew what they were doing after all!

We stroll around the crowded streets and soak up the cosmopolitan atmosphere; coffee in this Café and more strolling. Look over there, yes there is a pod of dolphins. How awesome is that? I love those mammals – they are so cute I wish I could take one back home to Canberra with me.

We take some photos and move along to the Jetty. The smell of fish and chips tantalises the taste buds. We sit in this glass restaurant while Mistress and hubby scoff down some local seafood. They sure look sated.

Taking in the sights is easy in this exquisite part of Adelaide. I think that most of the population has moved here for the day. This is definitely a lovely finale to our Ghan experience.

We jump on the city bound tram and head back to the Motel. A cab is called and we are bound for home. There is a deflated look on all of our faces. It is obvious that none of us want to go back home - well not just yet, anyway.

Adelaide airport is quite spacious. Wandering after check in and security reality sets in and the forlorn faces reflect the disappointment of the realisation that this amazing journey is drawing to a close.

Home to Canberra – boo hoo – we board the plane and take off from the runway. Mountains, farms and valleys dot the landscape as we soar higher and higher. The flight is quiet and rather civilised. I think we are exhausted and yet extremely satisfied with this Australian encounter.

Look! Wow! There are the balloons. How beautiful? I am so impressed. Perhaps they know I am on my way home?

Looking down from my lofty vantage I see Parliament House.

It is nice to be home.

I wonder where we are going next.

Catch you next time. Watch this space - I hear that UK and Europe might be on the upcoming itinerary.

Your mate, Greenie

No comments:

Post a Comment